Friday, August 22, 2008

That was some good gumbo!

The other night TD gave in and made some of his awesome gumbo. He is truly a Cajun as this is some good stuff! He adapted a recipe from his grandmother, Mama Roy. Before I knew TD, I did not know that gumbo was sometimes eaten with a dollop of potato salad on top. Well, just try to serve me gumbo now with no potato salad and I will wonder where the rest of the meal went! This gumbo had shrimp, chicken and sausage in it. Of course, there is some good rice on the bottom of the bowl. Sometimes we have a problem because I cannot eat very spicy food while TD can eat food that is so spicy a rocket could launch from it. This gumbo was perfect. In the picture you can see the genuine Abita Amber Beer which is what TD likes to drink with gumbo. Makes it a real Louisiana feast. Do you like gumbo... and do you eat potato salad with it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Yoel Posting) I personally have never had gumbol. It looks delicious and it looks similiar to a cuban dish my grandmother can make. What nationality does gumbol actually come from, also do other dinners that sell gumbol not do it correctly???

Glad to hear it was delicious! =D

Terry said...

Hi, Yoel! I am so happy that you are visiting my blog and thank you so very much for commenting! YOU ROCK! Anywho, What dish is it that your Grandmother makes? Maybe I will be able to taste it when I come to visit? hint! Well, from what I understand, gumbo is a dish from Lousiana people that are Cajun or Creole. My husband is of Canjun ancestry as his family migrated to Louisiana from Nova Scotia. And it is served all different ways. I love it, though, with the potato salad. You will try it yourself when you and Petie come to our house to visit and TD makes it for you. That is a promise! Thanks again for visiting... hope to see you alot! take care, Yoel! ~ terry

Anonymous said...

I would love to taste that dish as it looks really scrumptious!!! It is also great to read actual meaningful blogs,

The dish my grandmother makes is called : 'caldo gallego' it is a very famous Cuban soup. My grandmother usually makes it for special events, or simply when I am sick or someone else in the family is! :)

Canjun huh? So I would imagine it is a real famous dish on his side of the family then. I really wish I could cook half the things my grandmother and mother can. I know Pete already met my folks, and my grandmother really likes him so he can probably cook with her one day and learn a recipe or two.

Its awsome reading! Hope to hear from you soon!

-Yoel

Terry said...

Hi, Yoel! Your Grandmother sounds like an awesome cook. I would not mind learning about her cooking! Hopefully as you said, Petie might be able to learn some recipes from her! How about you? What are some dishes you like to cook? I saw in another post that Petie is going to introduce you to the Iron Chef show. That show is great! There is a secret ingredient that the two chefs have to cook with and come up with outstanding dishes that go before three judges. I would very much like to do that sometime during Family Saturday or at any type of social gathering. And the secret ingredient cannot be sardines or rutabagas. Or cauliflower. Otherwise, everything else is fair game! =) Thanks for visiting! Can't wait to meet you! ~terry